Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Backyard farming

Spring is well and truly here in the Capital now, and we've been making the most of the warmer weather out in the garden.
We've built fences, pulled weeds, planted fruit trees, dug compost and planted, planted, planted our summer vegetable crop.
We've got corn, beans, peas, broccoli, silverbeet, cabbage, tomatoes, Chinese greens, lettuce, raddishes, potatoes, zucchini, pumpkins and cucumber all planted.
In the way of fruit, we've gone for strawberries (of course), watermelon, apples, pears, apricots and of course lemons. We already had a little plum tree and (what I think) is a kaffir lime.
That beautiful thyme you see below is an heirloom plant we dug from Clinton's Nanna's garden at Willowvale - I'd guess it could be 50 years old or more.






Do you like my French garden stakes? I picked up a set at an antique market in Nice during 2005 (the baggage check-in lady at the airport thought I was a bit nuts standing there at the check-in counter transferring them into my carry-on luggage to get my bag back under 32kg).




Pink lady apples are my favourite - I just have to keep those pesky parrots away!


The next job is a climber (probably passionfruit) to grow over and shade the chook-pen.


Our mini-orchard tucked away in the back corner. Can't wait to get some apricots off that tree!


And there's Charlie...
It makes me super-happy when I look around an imagine this place in another year or two!

No comments:

Post a Comment